Saturday, March 28, 2015

Opening up the black box of my room a little bit...

7:30-8:00 3/10/15
This week I am using technology to help students learn about meiosis, genetics, and all of the various forms of inheritance.  Some of the tools I am using include online simulations.  For example, mouse breeding simulations, rat development interactives, and mitosis vs. meiosis interactives.  I think that these tools are helping my students experience these concepts in ways that would not have been imaginable over 10 years ago.  I wonder about how this is impacting their learning.  I assume that it helps them visualize and internalize these processes that otherwise would be difficult to experience.  

However, I also am not sure if the lack of these tools when I was a student forced me to think more deeply about them so that I had work harder to create my own models of the concepts. Potentially my internal generation of those mental models was a great learning activity that is not as likely to happen in this technology rich course.  I really am not sure.  

Finally, we have a common assessment next week.  Therefore, I have used my iPad to make 4 review podcasts for students to be able to listen to to help them complete their study guide for next week’s assessment.  I hope that students are learning from these podcasts.  In a way, this is a little bit of flipped instruction.  However, I know of a couple of students who are very diligent that are unable to access these podcasts at home because of the way their wifi works.

No comments:

Post a Comment