Friday, August 14, 2015

Lake Michigan Trip Final 2 Days

Day 6: July 17, 2015
We left Frankfort this morning and it was slow going, as the fog was dense and the water heavily populated with small sailboats.  We were constantly sounding the fog horn every minute while exiting port.  We have 2 stations to complete today to gather nearshore and offshore data, then we'll be back to Milwaukee on a ten hour boat ride back to Milwaukee.  The boat goes about 12-13 mph.

Much of the data from these two stations was collected and then will be processed by the scientists back in their labs as teachers were focused on getting their final presentations together. I want to get the raw data from a hydrolab dive down from my biology class so that they can plot points and try to explain why there are these patterns.

It is interesting to see how science and scientists direct this boat.  What directs schools?  Adults' interpretations of what is best for kids.

In the evening we did a Bio Blitz dance.  Inspired by park ranger videos here and here.  
Any bioblitz dance can be put to the same music.  I think I'll have students make a cell part dance where they pick 3 cell parts and make 3 moves for each cell part.

Last Day, Day 7: 
We were back in Milwaukee and did de-briefing, watched all groups presentations, and learned about supports for Community Partnership projects. I believe this whole week is primarily funding by the Great Lakes Restoration Funding. Also Sea Grant give $ to universities for educational, research, and funding.

We were also videotaped about how our week went in three words.  This is now on youtube.

I've tried to share as much as I could manage while living life.  This trip was a great opportunity to rekindle my curiosity about the world around me and the lake I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment